Loose Bridge Pins and False Strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:28:13 -0500

Michael Gamble wrote:
> Hello Ron N and Listers
> I sent this yesterday:
> Hello Ron (and List)
> Your statement about false beats is a "must read" for all interested in
> tuning pianos. I concur with all you have said. It all makes profound
> sense.
> I now eagerly await a "trial by fire". I have therefore put your obiter
> dictum on the List for all to read.
> Now....
> Today I have had the opportunity to test your statement about loose
> bridge pins = false strings. I took a screw driver to a false string in
> the D5 zone where there was a particularly obnoctious falseness (piano:
> baby grand Hopkinson) and... it worked!  The beat disappeared as I
> touched the pin on the speaking/string side. Remove screw driver and the
> falseness reappears. OK. The owner knows the bridge is split at several
> pins (not where I was experiencing that Nossaman Phenomenon though) and
> he accepts the high cost factor of replacing the capping. So, I rest
> your case.
> Regards
> Michael G.(UK)

Michael,
The effect of loose bridge pins on false beats has been known since
many years before I ever even SAW a tuning lever. What I've been
attempting to do is put some explanatory causes to the effect. I'll
claim that endeavor as mine, pending enlightenment to the contrary,
since all the rest of these details are the result of my research
efforts at self-education. A few people have gotten it, but for the
most part, all most techs want to know about it is "when I seat the
string, or drive in the pin, the tone improves - sometimes".
Personally, I'd like to at least attempt have some idea of what's
broke, and understand as much as I can about what's really happening
before I start "fixing" things.

I appreciate your interest,
Ron N