Loose Bridge Pins and False Strings

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:02:37 -0500

The real world ...
=20
Tuned a little console today, not bad for a Wurly and really pretty =
clean in
the treble, except for one absurdly wild string. Ran the old "beat
eliminator" down to the bridge and the beat, mostly, went away.
=20
Also tuned and older Hamilton studio. Treble just grossly obnoxious. =
Took a
peek at the bridge. It looks like most of the pins have risen about =
halfway
out of their holes, standing about 1/8" to 1/4" higher than the bridge =
top!
There was no one there (rural church) to authorize any repairs and I was =
out
of time anyway, but I'd like to lay that puppy down and epoxy in some
slightly longer and/or thicker pins just to see if the results are worth =
the
trouble.
=20
By the way, I once removed a thundering herd of wild beats from a little
Francis Bacon (gblerk, pfff) grand this way. If anyone wants the beats I
took out, I can ship immediately. But right now I'm filling out a legal
form, donating my nostrils to science.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO