Loose Bridge Pins and False Strings

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:42:53 -0700

MessageAllen---It's not a fit night out for man or beats.  AND there's =
no market for nostrils.Sorry bout that!

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 5:02 PM
  Subject: RE: Loose Bridge Pins and False Strings

  The real world ...

  Tuned a little console today, not bad for a Wurly and really pretty =
clean in the treble, except for one absurdly wild string. Ran the old =
"beat eliminator" down to the bridge and the beat, mostly, went away.

  Also tuned and older Hamilton studio. Treble just grossly obnoxious. =
Took a peek at the bridge. It looks like most of the pins have risen =
about halfway out of their holes, standing about 1/8" to 1/4" higher =
than the bridge top! There was no one there (rural church) to authorize =
any repairs and I was out of time anyway, but I'd like to lay that puppy =
down and epoxy in some slightly longer and/or thicker pins just to see =
if the results are worth the trouble.

  By the way, I once removed a thundering herd of wild beats from a =
little Francis Bacon (gblerk, pfff) grand this way. If anyone wants the =
beats I took out, I can ship immediately. But right now I'm filling out =
a legal form, donating my nostrils to science.

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO