marketing a patented tuning Was OnlyPure

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:50:25 -0700

At 12:53 AM 4/17/2005, "William R. Monroe" <pianotech@a440piano.net> wrote:

>I think Alan hit this on the head by saying that this new improved tuning,
>as it were, is quite likely not so improved over the way the rest of the
>world tunes (and perhaps not so original, as others have alluded).
>
>Think for a moment, how many clients, (performers or otherwise) know their
>instrument is out of tune.  Consider now, how many of those can tell the
>difference from one temperament to the next.  Consider now, those who can
>discern if some of your thirds are not quite right.  Consider now, how many
>can tell if Bernhard Stopper tunes their piano, or anyone else in the world.
>Consider now, how many of these who say they can tell the difference at any
>of these levels really can.

Bernard's delusions do not end here. I ran his scheme and his financial
numbers past a marketing executive. After she finished laughing, she said
that his  financials do not add up to a small fraction of what it would
take to promote a brand name to retail clients on a worldwide scale - or,
for that matter, even in a limited territory. The willingness to pay a
premium price for a service is mostly dependent on name recognition - and
there is no way that this scheme can supply that kind of name recognition
without pouring millions of dollars into a visibility campaign in advance
of rollout. But then, perhaps, Bernard has Bill Gates bankrolling his
scheme...  :-)

His projected revenue also will not be sufficient to legally protect any
patent infringement - especially on an international scale - and the
projected revenue increase from a possible $10 premium on the price of a
tuning will not yield sufficient revenue for his licensees to undertake
legal action on their own to protect their license. (Larger premiums are
impractical). There just isn't enough revenue here to motivate an attorney
to work on a contingency basis, so any legal costs for protecting this
license would have to be paid up front. So, a license that cannot be
protected legally is essentially worthless. Caveat emptor, folks - Bernard
has no legal obligations towards his licensees if the promised additional
income does not materialize or if unlicensed imitators steal your
clients... General Motors would not have any dealers if it could not
legally protect its trademarks and brand names - but it has the resources
to do so. Bernard will not have the resources to protect his licensees...

Then again, is Bernard vetting his licensees or training them in basic
tuning methodology? Or is he just offering to sell the license to all
comers? Because the most wonderful tuning system, in the hands of a poorly
trained practitioner, will still yield imprecise temperaments and
intervals, poor unisons and unstable tunings. Since the most likely initial
buyers of Bernard's license are likely to be tuners who are desperately
looking for gimmicks to help with building clientele - that is, beginners
or poorly trained tuners - his system is just as likely to develop the
reputation as a gimmick used by charlatans to pry more money out of people
for no good reason. So, if anyone pays attention to this system at all on
the retail level, it is just as likely to be negative - as a gimmick for
incompetent tuners to impress rubes...

I certainly don't see where concert venues and promoters are going to drop
their relationships with their current technicians and go hiring some
unknown (at a premium rate, no less)  just because he or she can flash a
license for a gimmicky-sounding tuning scheme. And as far as artists -
well, Bernard, when you have 100 artists make your tuning system a
condition in their performer's contract, who have the kind of clout that
can motivate a concert hall or promotion organization to fire their
technician in favor of your licensee let us know, we might take you
half-way seriously.

So it seems that anyone who sends Bernard $400 up front for his license (if
a patent ever happens) would be buying a pig in a poke - a license of
questionable utility that cannot yield sufficient revenue even for adequate
legal protection of the license itself. If you find yourself in need of
cash, Bernard, I suggest you sell your licensee list (when you have one) to
some marketing outfit that sells bridges in Brooklyn, real-estate in
Florida and investment opportunities on the Internet for a share of their
profit - you might do quite well...

By the way. Don't hold your breath to be invited to demonstrate your
"method" at any PTG convention. Since you are promoting a commercial
product for sale, you would have to pay for a booth and - of course - pay
your own expenses. If you do that, you could be given an opportunity to
teach a "sponsored" class - along with the other manufacturers and
distributors of products and services who have been exhibiting at the PTG
conventions for years and years. Only those who are willing to share their
knowledge and experience with no strings attached are sometimes subsidized
by the PTG when they teach and demonstrate their knowledge. This open
sharing of knowledge for the good of the entire profession is one of the
basic tenets of this organization, and so perhaps it is time to think about
a legal effort on the part of the PTG to oppose your patent application...
We do have a lawyer, you know, and it appears that in the opinion of quite
a few PTG members your licensing scheme is not in the best interest of the
profession...

Israel Stein