Patents and Professionalism

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:48:55 -0700

> Hello List
> There's been a lot of acrimony lately in the List regarding what constitu=
tes a
> "patentable" item. I like to hope that, like other professions, the Tunin=
> Fraternity like to help each other to the benefit of that profession and =
the
> general public as a whole. Did Einstein patent his theories on relativity=
? I
> know he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1921. I think we are in danger of
> barking up the wrong tree altogether.
> Regards
> Michael G.(UK)

Hey, ladies and gentlemen----

I=B9d like to take a moment to stop the lobbing of faintly icy and
disrespectful smallish
fragmentation bombs at each other and remember how incredibly small and
arcane the world of high-end pianos is, and how much smaller and more
fragile and vulnerable the collegial bond between the men and women who wor=
on these pianos.

Please, please do not muddy the clear waters of our little circle with
needless, cerebral, judgemental, arrogant debates. Exchange of info and
ideas are fantastic (like the current back-and-forth between Nossaman and
Ford re: String Seating) even when they challenge deep and long-held
assumptions and beliefs.

Dismissal and virtual ridicule of something out of hand, with no practical
experience of it, is foolish and disruptive, the sign of fear-based, cranky
iconoclasts rather than world-class, Golden Rule-based artisans.

Besides, with my zero spatial intelligence and low level of theoretical
understanding, I don=B9t know what the hell Bernhard is talking about.  I=B9ll
have to hear it on a piano, and/or
see/hear it being done, before I pass judgement.

Anyway, here we are on a Sunday, and I=B9m grateful to be alive and breathing=
,
let alone able to tell whether a dang piannuh is in tune.  So there.

My best to all---

David Andersen
Malibu, CA