Patents and Professionalism

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:36:43 +0100

Bernhard.

I must admit I am a bit confused by all this. First off you come in both
this time around and last year accusing me of stealing tuning ideas from
you and misrepresenting them as my own. Last year you jumped all over
Jason for making reference to the "Brekne P 12ths" tuning.  Now all of a
sudden you say your OnlyPure is something completely different, so
completely different that it is patentable. I suppose your objections to
the "Brekne P 12ths"  name has dissapeared as well since it serves to
differentiate between your OnlyPure and my P 12ths.  If your standpoint
is now that the two approaches are so different then I fail to see the
reasoning for all your aggressive defense of claimed territory as it were.

As to the comments below.  I dont want to burst any bubbles for you mind
you... but folks have been tuning in such a way as to aurally <<
eliminate >> (in the sense you have previously described) beats between
these relevant intervals for years now.  No one has formalized the
approach to be sure, nor besides yourself provided any mathematical
foundation for why it works so well.  But the general idea has been
aired around tuners for decades.  Virgil Smiths  "beatless" approach and
the many descriptions about that and similar stuff have been around for
years.  In fact, that influence on me some 6 years ago, along with
Andre's insistence that I should tune the treble using the double octave
tenth / major sixth test lead directly to me developing the Brekne P
12th for Tunelab.  That was a natural consequence of my basic direct
referencing approach to using ETD's to begin with.  All this coupled
(and much more) with the fact that the idea of using P12ths alone and in
itself is clearly non patentable,  I dont really see you have much of a
case.

But as I said... by all means use your time, effort, and money as you
will.  IMHO however,  it looks like a guaranteed way of throwing cash
out the window.

with respect
Richard Brekne

-----------------
Bernhard wrote:

Ric,

I do not patent the P12 tuning with this patent filing.
I do patent a new method that reach a state of the P12  tuning that cannot
be reached by any other previous method.(i.e. the elimination of the beats
of octaves and fifths, when played together in chords,due to the symmetry of
beats that occurs only in the P12 tuning). This elimination possibility was
not recognized until now, and is use it explicitely in the new method to
build the temperament completely by 3-note chords, of octave and inner lower
fifth and octave and inner upper fifth, played at the same time. And this is
a new method. And therefore patentable.

You can repeat as often as you want that the P12 tuning concept is not new.
This is not the point.

best regards,

Bernhard