Capstans... which brings me back to....

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:57:31 +0100

Hey Sarah

Not as much new mass as you might think really.  The brass roller is
less mass then the standard capstans found today. The magnet assembly
itself weighs in at about 2 grams, and the rest is a small peice of wood
and a double lock screw. Both are pretty light, tho I havent weighed
them yet.  All in all I suppose the thing might have an effect of about
3 grams tops on down weight... lessening it mind you as in effect its
back weighting.

One could opt for other roller material. Rubber might be good, or
plastic. But I've seen standard capstans using alternative materials and
havent been impressed with long term performance. A small brass roller
is my first choice... nice and smooth and polishes well.

I do not anticipate clicky sounds no.  The roller will be tightly pinned
and the flange has a standard felt bushing. There will be some wear on
the bushing for sure and it remains to be seen how well that will hold
up over time, but one never knows until one trys something out.

Cheers
RicB

------------

Hey Ric,

Cool design! :-)

It seems like a lot of mass, though, particularly on the backside of the =
keystick.  How much does this gizmo contribute to the DW of the key?

Out of curiosity, have you considered a felted (or rubber <gasp>) roller =
for the wippen heel, combined with a conventional capstan on the =
keystick?  That would give you the adjustable capstan height without all =
the additional mass, and it would still yield relatively frictionless =
travel.

Also, with the introduction of a roller, either on the keystick or on =
the wippen, do you anticipate "clicky" bearing points as the action =
wears?

Always interesting to see your innovations!

Peace,
Sarah