Capstan angle

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:50:04 -0700

    Well, it's two against one, so you guys must be right.  The
capstan and key form one solid unit.  This unit is rotating about a
fixed point.  An applied force on this unit will create a torque
about that fixed point.  What determines this torque is the distance,
in a direction normal to the force, to the rotation point, multiplied
by the force.  See the link that you gave for clarification.  If a
vertical force of 10 lbs is applied at the top of the capstan, which
is 5 inches horizontally from the balance point, then the torque at
the balance point produced by this force is 50 in-lbs (and the torque
required on the front end of the key to balance this is also 50
in.-lbs - so, if your measuring point is 10 inches from the balance
point, then you have a downweight of 5 lbs).  The angle of the
capstan, or where it touches the key,  has nothing to do with it.
    If you want to take the capstan itself as a free body, then if the
capstan is vertical and a vertical force of 10 lbs is applied to the
top of it, then the reacting force at the key contact point is a
vertical force of 10 lbs.  The capstan will in turn apply this 10 lbs
force to the key.  Torque about the balance point is 10 lbs x 5
inches = 50 in-lbs.
    Now angle the capstan way back so that it contacts the key at a
point 4 inches from the balance point.  Apply a vertical force to the
top of the capstan, still at a point 5 inches from the balance point.
The reacting force on the capstan at the key contact point is a
vertical force of 10 lbs AND a moment of 10 lbs x 1 inch (the
distance between the applied force and the reacted force), or 10
in-lbs (if you want to think of it in this way, this is the moment
needed to keep the capstan from falling over as a result of the force
being applied off to one side).  These reactive forces are in turn
applied to the key.  So, we have a vertical force of 10 lbs being
applied at 4 inches from the balance point, and a moment of 10 in-lbs
being applied at 4 inches from the balance point.  Moment about the
balance point is 10 lbs x 4 inches + 10 in-lbs.  Moment about the
balance point is STILL 50 in-lbs.
    Now angle the capstan way forward so that it contacts the key at a
point 6 inches from the balance point.  Apply a vertical force to the
top of the capstan, still at a point 5 inches from the balance point.
The reacting force at the key contact point is a vertical force of 10
lbs. AND a moment of 10 lbs x (-1) inch (the distance between the
applied force and the reacted force, it's negative because you are
moving away from the balance point), or -10 in-lbs.  These reactive
forces are in turn applied to the key.  So, we have a vertical force
of 10 lbs being applied at 6 inches from the balance point, and a
moment of -10 in-lbs being applied at 6 inches from the balance
point.  Moment about the balance point is 10 lbs x 6 inches - 10
in-lbs.  Moment about the balance point is STILL 50 in-lbs.
    If you don't want to believe me it's a simple thing to prove to
yourself.  Set up a lever (or a key) and put an arm (such as a
capstan) at wildly different angles, contacting the lever at greatly
different points, but make sure that the weight that you put on is
always the same distance from the fulcrum, or balance point.  See how
much weight it takes to balance on the other side.  You'll see that
it doesn't matter where you attach the arm or how you angle it.  The
only thing that matters is the distance of the weight from the
fulcrum.
    I would also caution you against being deceived by anecdotal
evidence of people who say that they have 'improved' the key ratio by
angling the capstans back.  What they have accomplished is to move
the contact point between the top of the capstan and the wippen heel
a little closer to the balance point, so that the key ratio has
changed.  That change resulted from moving the contact point, or
point of force application, a little closer to the balance point.
Not from angling the capstan so that it contacts the key closer to
the balance point.

>Hi David, and Phil
>
>I got to agree with Dave here.  In fact, if the key is oriented
>horizontally and the ratio equated to the key being balanced thus,
>then the key ratio is exactly the straight line from the front of
>the key to the middle of the balance rail pin to the middle of the
>hole of the capstan.

I try to measure to the capstan contact point.  This is easier said
than done if the capstan is angled, because it's hard to tell exactly
where the contact point is, and it changes with the capstan height.
If you're using the key hole as your measuring point that might, at
least partially, explain some of the discussions that we've had in
the past about why various methods of measuring the action ratio seem
to be inconsistent.  I'll have to look back at my Stanwood articles
to see how he defines key ratio.

Regards,

Phil Ford