A-440 again

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:18:18 -0400

Avery-

First impulse is to say, if it doesn't involve piano, why get
involved?  But you probably see it as a matter of principle.  Well, it's
all quite arbitrary.  There is no cosmic truth about pitch, Mr. LaRouche
not withstanding.  In a way, pitch remains a bastion of provinciality.  It
doesn't really matter what they do in Cleveland, Boston, LA, Atlanta,
etc.  What's the customary pitch in Houston? or the pitch in your section
of Houston, for that matter?  If you do want some back up info, I think
someone on this list or CAUT did some research, or you could call some
orchestras.  In any case, the question is, who is it that's in charge?

David Skolnik