regulating screws

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:55:16 -0500

New to the list? A tech?=20
=20
First: Use the proper tool. If it is the standard, single slot =
regulating
tool, you need to grind the end until the screw eye doesn't dissappear =
when
you put the tool on it. Make it about half as deep as it is. There's a
better tool but it's expensive.
=20
Second: There is a pair of "dowel regulating" pliers that grip those
buttons, but they are expensive and seldom necessary so not a "first =
buy"
tool.
=20
 If you have more than one or two broken, I would remove the whole rail
(very carefully) and replace all the screws--especially if they are =
rusty.
But if it was only your technique that broke them you may be able to =
replace
the screws with the action in the piano.=20
=20
"Unscrew" the button. If the screw comes out, hooray. More likely the =
button
will just come off. Use a soldering iron or--my tool of choice--a Ronco
mini-tech flameless torch--and gently heat the screw, not enough to =
scorch
wood but enough to break any rust bonding, etc. Use needle-nose or =
skinny
Vice-Grip pliers to remove the screw. Be careful not to put any =
sideways,
bending pressure on the screw. If it comes right out, just replace. If =
you
get into trouble, you have two options:
=20
1. Remove the rail and drill a new screw hole very close to the old one.
Some would say to dig out the old screw, plug, and redrill. My =
experience in
100-year-old pianos? You are likely to make the damage worse, like =
breaking
the rail. Remember that wood may be a little brittle with age, too. or =
=20
2. Use a regulating button repair thingy. They aren't proper repairs for =
nice piano, etc., but they work.
=20
Hope it helps. Tell us a little more about yourself ...
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO