Chinese pianos

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:45:47 -0700

We sell Nordiska pianos at our store.  The quality overall is very good, but there are occasional problems with some of them.  I attribute this to old stock.  If you have tuning problems, check the pinblock-to-flange fit.  Some were not mated at all.  Installing shims worked well.  I've seen some corrosion on strings, discoloration of bass strings.  Overall I'm quite happy with the new ones coming in.  I'm not sure of which brands are made in this same factory, there are several.  The Nordiska factory is a "factory within a factory", in which all the workers, the building, and all the materials (except the case parts and plate) are made there.  The other buildings are used for making the other pianos (different names).  The Nordiska plant is spotless.  The workers are more experienced, and are paid more.  They are envied by the other workers, naturally.  Bridges are well made, most of the cabinetry is good, the quality of hammers is excellent.  Some action prep is needed in many cases.  Overall they are a good value.  We also have Falconi (I'm not sure which factory makes them.  Quality is fair on these.  I don't much care for the Bergmann pianos (Young Chang Chinese) as they had/have many problems for which our store is still trying to sort out.  We've had to do repairs on most of the ones we've sold, but no compensation is forthcoming from Young Chang (gee, I wonder why).  I don't have experience much with pearl River or derivatives, so I can't say about that factory.
    FWIW,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego
    "The Piano Exchange"

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Walker
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 04/21/2005 6:21:01 AM
Subject: Chinese pianos

Hello folks,

The store that I work for has been carrying pianos from the Beijing Piano factory for about 7 years.
I like to see some feedback from other techs about how they feel about these pianos. We are pleased with the improving quality of these instrument. Yamaha or Steinway they are not but they are good value for entry level consumer. We tried some pianos from Dongbei factory. These piano needed more prepping and had tuning problems.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
wayne.w@musicstop.com
www.musicstop.com

It has removed 1084 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!