Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:41:08 -0400

Alan,

My 2 cents...  As you might expect on your first draft, I'd say you're a
little too defensive.  The PTG handout on pitch raises should be fine.
Stick to your rationale for why the extra work is needed, and don't
sidetrack into comparative rates or offering to switch tuners.  The reason
is because you had to tune the piano twice, that's why.  Give 'em the
website, too (seems to be credible to people).  Let them know you'll be
happy to answer any questions they have about what you've already given
them.

One thing I do is measure the pitch of every "A" before I start, and plot it
on a little graph that's part of my service record.  It also shows a +/- 8
cent range that is marked "fine tuning range".  Usually I have this drawn up
by the first time the customer asks me "How is it?", and I show them.  If it
falls within the fine range, it's one pass; outside, and it's two.  My
invoice also says "The farther out of range it is, the sooner it will need
tuning again.".

The best analogy seems to be sanding wood: if you want it smooth, you can
only start with the 400-grit if it's already pretty smooth.  If it's rough,
you have to make additional first passes with the coarse paper before you
can work on the fine stuff.

Sometimes it helps to open the bottom panel and show them how the soundboard
pushes up on the strings, explaining why you can't just tune it once and
then CA the strings to the pins...

Point out the extra time it took you.  Let them ask or realize why it took
the extra time.  Very frustrating!

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV