Your Ideas was Aaaaargh

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:05:07 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0034_01C54733.871C7320
Okay, you folks are just great. Really good points and, as usual, =
helpful
spinoffs into related topics like advertising and ethics.
=20
Below is the letter I mailed today. I tried to incorporate all the ideas =
and
comments that were posted. It makes for a much better letter, methinks.
=20
Also, sitting in this sort of thing overnight is just a real good idea.
=20
Thanks $435,327.13*

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20
*That's "Thanks a million" after taxes.
=20
Dear Jeanne:

=20

I was very unhappy about our conversation today. You seemed upset even
before the fee came up and the expense being more than anticipated sure
didn=92t help. I am truly sorry if I somehow contributed to a bad day.
Friendship and integrity mean everything in the world to me and business =
=85.
is only business.

=20

I=92m enclosing some information about tuning, humidity, pitch raises, =
etc.,
in the interest of understanding. Your piano was 21 percent flat today. =
pointed this out to Ron. He heard how much I was raising each string =
just to
get it near pitch. Anything more than about 6 or 7 percent flat or sharp
(less than 5 is better) is simply not tunable for good, lasting results. =
If
anything, with the high humidity of recent days, I expected to find your
piano sharp, or maybe just a little flat (it has been a whole year) but =
it
was way off.

=20

Perhaps I should have clarified fees with Ron before starting, but you =
had
always handled our business. So I just plunged in, doing the work that =
the
piano required.

=20

You were right that I charged less on previous occasions. My records =
show
$65 tuning payments on 9/11/02 and 4/27/04. Both were for straight,
near-pitch tunings. My standard tuning rate is now $80 which reflects =
the
increased cost of gas and other expenses, as well as the results of my
survey of other professional service businesses in our area to be =
certain
that my fees are in line and fair.

 =20

Very truly yours,