Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

FRANCES HELMS fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:46:12 -0500

Alan,

I agree with Barbara.  You offer a quality service at a fair price.  IMO you should not apologize for something you did not cause.  A brief explanation of the cause for a pitch raise, your fees, along with a statement of concern about her
reaction should be more than enough.  You might tell her that in the future if the piano tuning will be more than the standard fee you will make sure she is aware of that before you tune.  (I assume you told the husband up front how much it would cost to raise the pitch.)  I usually tell the customer that "Manufacturers recommend that pianos be tuned AT LEAST every six months.

Lengthy explanations weaken your case.
Good luck,
Fran Helms,
Topeka, KS

>>> "Barbara Richmond" <piano57@flash.net> 04/21/05 7:19 PM >>>
MessageI'd advise against, Alan.  Take a little more time to think about it.  It's too long.  If you feel you really need to send a note, make it as short as possible (and I mean short!).  Explaining your concern and fees is enough (that is, *your* fees--and don't talk about the other service people, tuners or tooners or what you might charge in the future).

If at all possible, I find it best to explain the situation and fees to the person who is around (or call the person in charge) before doing the work--no matter how many times I've serviced the piano.  It just works out better that way.

Bummer situation, but another lesson learned!

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond

----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:28 PM
  Subject: Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

  Had to happen sooner or later. Visit people who don't play much, tune annual. He's nice. She was okay in past. She not home. Sit at piano. 20+ cents flat after period of high humidity around here. Tell him it needs pitch correction. Work on piano for 2 1/2 hours. She's now home, comes in as I'm trying to take a little Story & Clarke wine out of the unisons. Scowl. "We have places to go today! How much longer is this going to take?" Oh, says I, I'm just finishing up. "How much."  Well it needed pitch correction, you see, blah blah blah, so it's $140 today.

  snip