wax buildup

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:44:09 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah Fox <sarah@graphic-fusion.com> wrote:
Hi Paul,

How about using a light furniture oil (e.g. Liquid Gold), instead of naptha,
mineral spirits, etc? The oil should be safe on all finishes, <snip>

Hi Sarah -

Thought a quick clarification might be in order to avoid confusion.  To my knowledge, the three very best solvents for removing wax are naptha, turpentine, and mineral spirits, in no particular order.  All three are immediate.  Any can of paste wax that suggests methods of removal always  lists these as the preferred removal method.  Many fear that these will somehow have the effect of also dissolving finish, especially when you look on the can of mineral spirits and see the words "paint thinner"! ;-) However, I know of no finish, at least one found on pianos, that will be harmed in any way by wiping down with any of these three solvents.  Even varnish, which uses these as its solvent, is completely unaffected after cured.  Many finishers even prefer naptha/mineral spirits as the lubricant of choice when rubbing down a finish, even ones just recently cured.  Shellac, varnish, lacquer, water-based finishes, polyurethane, polyester - they will not be harmed.  It is true, though, that
 all three of these solvents require the user to address health safety concerns, as when using practically anything required in finishing work.   While these are considered weak compared to most solvents, the standard mantra of gloves, mask and ventilation are definitely called for.

Just making sure we are on the same page...

Mark Potter