Soundboard floating - an idea whose time has come

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:18:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Hi Philip,
>
>On your last picture one can see the little block the screw enters beneath
>the
>rib and the soundboad. With the panel resting on this little block this
>setup is
>not a real float but a float on a crutch of sorts, is it not?

Yes.

>  Does the panel
>here behave like a teeder-todder (spelling?).

Beats me.  I guess so.

>In conjunction with your other pictures, I can see that without this little
>block the end of the panel would collapse in no time, given the amount of
>bearing in that area and the fact that the bass bridge seems to extend well
>beyond the line runing between the furthest points where the panel is
>supported.

Yes, given that the ribs are running in the direction they are I don't
think the board would fare well without the little block.  If the rib
direction was more like the modern arrangement it might get by without it.

>Thanks for the nice piccies.
>
>Peace,
>
>Jean-Jacques Granas
>Warsaw