Bridge pin angles

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:58:26 -0500

> The conclusion from the limited sample was that it was possible for the
> string to be above the bridge, but it seemed to be for situations where
> the bridge pin angle was low enough.

Excellent! Your calculations were correct. I stand corrected.
Strings can be made to stay above the bridge within the range of
normal and functional pin, offset, and downbearing angles. So be it.
Now, the obvious question. Why weren't any up the pins when you
checked them all before starting the experiment? If you haven't
already knocked down the string that stayed up under playing, could
you check it daily for the next several days and see if it stays up
there? I'm curious to see how permanently it's un-seated, or if
overnight temperature changes will overcome the friction enough to
let it slip back down. Since play alone knocked most of them down
(so much for the pianist knocking them UP the pins), I wonder how
secure the levitator is. I still hope people will take their feeler
gages out into the field and check, particularly those pianos making
the sort of nasty noises that earn them a good seating. I'd still
like to see some evidence that this occurs naturally.

>> It isn't conclusive, since I can't know the piano's entire service
>> history, but de-stringing a bridge, I typically see more pin and notch
>> damage on the speaking side. I have no way to determine whether this
>> is from play, front bearing angles, or seating of strings.
>>
>> Ron N
>

> I've noticed the same thing.  If we want to try to establish which of
> these factors is contributing to bridge or pin damage then I think we
> need to come up with some experiments which attempt to isolate the
> various factors.
>
> Phil F

These could be very long running experiments.

Ron N