Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:11:06 -0600

Alan wrote:

> *(Had trouble with this message, if it posts more than once, just zap.
> Sorry)*
>
> Had to happen sooner or later. Visit people who don't play much, tune
> annual. He's nice. She was okay in past. She not home. Sit at piano.
> 20+ cents flat after period of high humidity around here. Tell him it
> needs pitch correction. Work on piano for 2 1/2 hours. She's now home,
> comes in as I'm trying to take a little Story & Clarke wine out of the
> unisons. Scowl. "We have places to go today! How much longer is this
> going to take?" Oh, says I, I'm just finishing up. "How much."  Well
> it needed pitch correction, you see, blah blah blah, so it's $140 today.
>
> [Insert sound of Banshee With Bellyache here]
>
> "Why, we haven't even moved that piano." (Me: chuff, hrgmff, choke ...)
>
>  {Caution Serious Rant Zone Ahead}
>
> WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THIS 'MOVING THE PIANO CRAP'? EVERYONE
> KNOWS(!) THATS WHAT MAKES PIANOS NEED TUNING (puff puff pant) DID THE
> GOVERNMENT USED TO PRINT THAT FACTOID(???!!!) ON CEREAL BOXES OR
> WHAT? SEEMS MOST FOLKS DON'T KNOW A $#*%&* THING ELSE ABOUT THEIR
> PIANO BUT IF YOU ROLL IT 3 INCHES, THAT'S WHEN YOU GOTTA CALL THE
> TUNER (OR IF A KEY IS 'STICKING.') OTHER THAN THAT, IT CAN EASILY GO
> ANOTHER 15 YEARS AND SOUNDS JUST BLOODY GREAT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
>
> "Last time you were here you only charged me $50." No, Ma'am. It was
> $65 a couple of years ago. Now it's $80 plus you needed the pitch raise.
>
> Tried to explain. She wrote a check. I said, just pay me what you
> think it's worth. She paid the full amount.
>
> She won't be using me next time. That's okay. She will
> undoubtedly tell everyone in her church--and it's a small community
> here--and anyone else who'll listen that I am a rotten crook and I
> charge $140 to tune a piano--that hasn't even been moved! That's not
> okay. Damn.
>
> I never raised my voice.
>
> I've  included  the letter I've prepared to send her , below. Before I
> seal it and send it, if any of you kind folks want to look it over and
> tell me I'm right on, crazy, or both, I'd appreciate it. All comments
> welcome. Maybe some ideas for people with similar customer relations
> disasters are here, too ...
>
> Alan R. Barnard
> Trying to Thicken My Skin Without Thickening My Skull in Salem, MO
> (Man, that's just plain thick! Thorry.)
>

> Dear Friends:
>

> I am very upset about our discussion today. These are my thoughts and
> feelings …
>

> First and foremost: If I have offended you in any way, whatsoever, I
> do truly apologize and ask your forgiveness. Friendship and integrity
> mean everything in the world to me and business …. is only business.
>

> Jeanne, you seemed upset with me from the moment I said hello and
> certainly before the fee was discussed. I didn’t understand that.
>

> I’ve attached a copy of information about tuning, humidity, pitch
> [...]
    Despite your good intentions, she probably won't bother to read it
all, nor the handouts on piano care.  People just don't read anything
they don't have to anymore, including traffic signs, especially when
they're upset.  Some people are just difficult.  I don't know how to
deal with it either, sometimes.  Let them go with the $55 "tooner" and
just seek better clients to replace them.    --Dave Nereson, Denver