waxbuildup

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 05:18:00 -0700

Good point, Wayne.  I wasn't aware that Yamaha had plastic cheek blocks and other parts.  Most high gloss pianos get a coating of cooking residue if they're near the kitchen or in a bar.  A solvent like naptha is needed to remove it, more easily done than with a polish alone.
Paul McCloud
San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Walker
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 04/25/2005 5:01:38 AM
Subject: Re:waxbuildup

Acetone will not harm polyester, but some pianos such as Yamaha's have parts that are not polyester but plastic. As soon as the acetone hit the plastic, game over, the surface dissolves. When the acetone dries the surface is rough and uneven. I know I had this happen to me last year on a Yamaha cheek block.Try a body shop supply store for wax remover. They would be able to help you with selecting the right product safe for plastic and polyester.

Wayne Walker

--
MusicStop (http://musicstop.com)