refinishing frustrations

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:22:43 -0500

At 07:47 4/27/2005, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>         Now that would really scare me! unless it were actual paint I was
> stripping. Seems like it would be too easy top scorch through varnish,
> lacquer, whatever. Have you ever used this on a piano?
>
>Greg

I knew about how easy it is to scorch from doing the interior house trim,
so I was _VERY_ careful when I experimented on a piano.

Yeah, I did do a piano...  An old painted upright pso which was destined
for the landfill.  I was out of chemical, but I did have this electric plus
a few bottles of propane left over from scraping/painting the house.  I
actually think I did better with the propane, but was just curious. [You do
a whole house or two with a torch and you either develop a touch or have a
big bonfire.]  I wasn't really happy with the entire process, but allowed
that it could be just my inexperience in applying those methods to pianos.

I'm no longer doing any refinishing for other reasons, but was, as I said,
curious if it WAS a viable option.  Methinks probably not.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.