Wurliter puzzler

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:53:33 -0700

Look underneath keys and above the keyframe for a long screw going horizontally
through the keyblock into the side of the rim arm. There may also be screws
going down into the keybed toward the back of the blocks. Though, if you cannot
remove the keycover, this is not likely.

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
John Gilmore
Sent: April 27, 2005 9:35 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Wurliter puzzler

Hello everyone -

My name is John Gilmore and I'm a piano tech in Portland, OR.  I've got a puzzle
on my hands that I hope someone can help me with.

Recently, I was called to service a short 1930's Wurlitzer grand.  I needed to
pull the action, so I removed the key slip, which was attached with four screws.
Then I tried to remove the blocks and fall board - but could not find how they
were attached to the piano.  No screws from underneath the blocks or on the
diagonal at the bass and treble ends.  The fallboard hinges are only party
visible, so I could see no screws there to take out so as to remove the fall
first.  I removed the small rubber buttons from the tops of the blocks in hopes
of finding screws under them - nothing.  First time in 15 years that this kind
of thing has happened!

Does anyone out there have an idea?  Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!