wippen support springs

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:15:32 -0600

Hi Jack,
                  Samick is using them in the Renner action/  Knabe line of
pianos,  3 different thickness of spring across the key
board.  .7mm,  .6mm,  .5mm.   You will hear passionate arguments for and
against.  The keyboard should be weighted off at 67gms tapered to 60gms at
the end of the spring section, with the springs disconnected.   Springs are
the connected, and touch weight adjusted from 54gms in bass to 48gms
extreme treble.
I will be going to Korea next week to set up new touch weight parameters.

I like the lowering of mass. and the increase in up weight, from the use of
springs.   Springs should not support any more than 15gms of down weight in
the bass and 8-10 gms in the treble.

As for making weighting more difficult.    I feel you can get very even
weighting, and use a pre mapped or CNC weight off pattern, the springs are
simple to adjust once you get the hang of it.

Springs have been used in the past to hide a multitude of sins at the
factory level.   Fudging geometry and friction problems.    When used
correctly, I love them.

Regards Roger
Technical Consultant
Samick Music Corp.