re-stringing and tools

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:48:10 +0100

Hello List
When restringing I always extract the wrest-pins s l o w l y. I do this =
in order not to generate heat and make the holes large. I always use =
next-size-up wrest pins and copy faithfully the string terminations and =
scaling of what has gone before. I always use Roslau "Blue Label" =
(polished, not coated) steels.=20
I have a simple jig to wind on the new coil of string to the new wrest =
pin using a stringing crank. This jig consists simply of a thick =
hand-held Beechwood dowel with a hole to take the wrest pin and a No.10 =
round-head screw screwed in next to that hole to use as a lead-in. I =
first dip the new wrest pin into powdered French chalk so the pin turns =
smoothly in use. I then use a punch to start the pin in the hole and =
punch the pin in to a predetermined depth by attaching a cocktail stick =
to the wrest pin punch. I use forceps to ensure the string stays on the =
bridge and hitch pin while taking up the slack. I cut off the new string =
using the width of four of my fingers to determine the length of string =
used in the coil. (That's called "rule of finger") :-) I have a pair of =
Eskilstuna piano wire side-cutters (Swedish) I have had them since the =
late 50s ( that's 1950s).
:-)
Regards
Michael G.(UK)