Wood work hardening (was Re: Bridge Pin Angle)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:11:22 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

The first time you drop the ball the contact area is going to be small,
essentially one point.  Once it has crushed into the wood the contact area
is larger, some portion of a sphere.  So the next time you drop the ball
the contact stress is going to be lower, so the ball won't indent as far on
the second drop.  So, I don't see that this experiment illustrates the
phenomenon.  However,  I'll play with it to see if I can find a way to
demonstrate (or not) the principle to myself.

Phil F