Bridge Pin Angles

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:08:38 +0100

Phil...

In answer to point 1:

I'd thought with the simple and straight forward wording accompanying,
it would be not difficult at all to figure out what the drawings were
depicting.

In answer to point 2:

My last post was mostly about measureable observations. I offered no
reasoning per se to defy anyones sense of logic. As for the
fruitfullness, well... where there is a will there is a way. Tho
admitedly, sometimes it can be tough.

And to your closing comment, please by all means, go out with an open
mind and see what you can find. Thats what I did, and thats precisely
why I take issue with these claims of string seating futility. That
reasonment just doesnt match what you can find out in the real world of
pianos.

However... since it seems that reasoning and head scratching seem to
want to take precedence over measureable evidence,  I'll get on with
more pressing tasks.  I look forward to seeing the results of everyones
measurments... how they are done.. etc etc.

Cheers back at ya :)

I'm off now for a couple months.  My buisiest season is in front of me,
and I have to prepare for attendance at both the first session at
Hamburg, and the last at Hamamatsu.  See you all in the fall.

RicB

>/....
/>/You can go out and measure this and find plenty instances.  And all of
/>/them are clearly in conflict with the idea that the only thing that is
/>/happening is that the bridge surface is crushing and then retreating.
/>/
/>/Baffling it may be. But it happens, and not unfrequently.  Why would
/>/strings in the upper drawing case need seating ?? Because they
climbed the
/>/pins ??... grin.. yup.
/>/
/>/Cheers
/>/RicB
/
Two comments:

1.  Your drawings don't show with sufficient fidelity on my screen that I
can tell what's going on.

2.  Your reasoning defies my version of logic, so I'm not sure that further
discussion is going to be fruitful.

So at this point I think the most useful expenditure of my time, with
regard to this subject, is going to be to go out with my feeler gage and
see what I see.  If there are plenty of instances, as you say, then it
shouldn't take me long to find some.

Cheers,

Phil F