strings rusting on bridge

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:38:25 -0500

  ----- Subject: strings rusting on bridge

  A small grand I recently serviced is showing severe rust/corrosion at =
bridge pins and across the deck of the bridge. This is a 90 year old 5' =
Fischer that was restrung only 6 or 7 years ago. It appears that no =
bridge work was done, i.e. new pins, cap, ect. There is no corrosion =
anywhere else on the wire. Ideas as to what would cause this? Bass =
strings are beginning to break at the front bridge pin. I am not so =
concerned about this piano (too late) as I am in learning what caused =
this for my own education.
  Fenton Murray, RPT
     =20
  Mouse urine is my guess.The little buggers use the bridge as a highway =
and make deposits along the way.
      Tom driscoll