strings rusting on bridge

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:08:26 -0600

I'm thinkin' elephant urine.
=20
We're talkin' REVENGE here.
=20
(I've never seen one traipsing along the bridge, but I know people who
have.)
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of tom driscoll
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 9:38 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: strings rusting on bridge

=20

----- Subject: strings rusting on bridge

A small grand I recently serviced is showing severe rust/corrosion at =
bridge
pins and across the deck of the bridge. This is a 90 year old 5' Fischer
that was restrung only 6 or 7 years ago. It appears that no bridge work =
was
done, i.e. new pins, cap, ect. There is no corrosion anywhere else on =
the
wire. Ideas as to what would cause this? Bass strings are beginning to =
break
at the front bridge pin. I am not so concerned about this piano (too =
late)
as I am in learning what caused this for my own education.
Fenton Murray, RPT
   =20
Mouse urine is my guess.The little buggers use the bridge as a highway =
and
make deposits along the way.
    Tom driscoll