strings rusting on bridge

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:52:56 -0800

I have seen this effect as a result of bridge "clean-up" work done prior
to restringing.  Some kind of cleaning solution was used on the bridge,
which soaked in and left a residue in the wood.  (Perhaps a wood
bleaching agent?) The bridge pins and strings touching the bridges were
coroded and rusted after a few years.

I would bet that restringing again would only temporarily address the
symptoms.  Re-capping the bridge is probably the real solution to the
problem.

Jurgen Goering