strings rusting on bridge

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:18:59 EST

Hey List
   Please, all welcome my friend & first time  poster to the List .The
illustrious & Talented ,Fenton Murray of Watsonville  Calif.......(Applause & wild
shouting)
  Welcome aboard
   Dale Erwin

A small grand I recently serviced is  showing severe rust/corrosion at bridge
pins and across the deck of  the bridge. This is a 90 year old 5' Fischer
that was restrung only 6 or 7 years  ago. It appears that no bridge work was
done, i.e. new pins, cap, ect. There is  no corrosion anywhere else on the wire.
Ideas as to what would cause this? Bass  strings are beginning to break at the
front bridge pin. I am not so concerned  about this piano (too late) as I am
in learning what caused this for my own  education.

Fenton Murray,  RPT

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com