The Art of French Leading

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:51:31 +0100

Hi Joe.

I first thought the purpose was to add inerty.  I'm quite convinced that =
some inerty is good for the pianist's control : it smoothes out the =
discrepencies in force between the pianist's fingers and greatly =
facilitate the legato playing.  But then, why put lead exactly above the =
balance hole ?
Hehe.  I think I know why.
This action, in fact, has been upgraded.  It was at first, I suppose, a =
simple action (no repetition), and those actions needed leed at the back =
to achieve quick enough key return to rest position.  At that time, the =
balance holes (and rail) were about 5 cm more to the front (there are =
traces of those).  Also, in addition to the lead at the back, there was =
lead somewhere in the middle to achieve fine tune of downweight.  The =
piano went back to (I think) the factory (that was common at Pleyel in =
those times) to get a new stack with repetition action (and the case =
stained in black).  At that time, the balance rail was moved back and =
new balance holes drilled.  Apparently, the guy who did this didn't take =
the pain to remove the fine tune leads.  On the key on the picture, it =
happened that the new balance hole was exactly at the place of the fine =
tune lead.  So he drilled through the lead.  It was probably 24th of =
december, in the afternoon, and his wife was maybe waiting at home with =
a chestnuts turkey.
This explains why the lead at the balance hole : the balance hole was =
not there in the beginning.
But then, I still don't understand why there is lead at the front and at =
the back of the key.  Certainly as the lead at the front was under the =
side ivory (which is reported as a 1860 original feature) which lead to =
think it was there at the beginning.  But then, the lead under the ivory =
has swollen so much, and the lead at the back, not at all.
So for me, for now, it remains a mystery.

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.

----- Original Message -----=20