Twist off damper question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:53:24 -0600

At 10:40 2/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Ran into a small George Steck grand from the 30s or 40s yesterday.  There
>were nasty chafing sounds from the three trichord dampers near the
>bass/tenor strut.  I pulled the action so that I could trim and teflon the
>dampers, but when I looked inside, I noticed the wires were threaded into
>the damper wire block.    Is there a way to get the wires out short of
>removing the damper underlever?
>
>Thanks for all information past, present, and future!
>
>Dave Stahl

Sounds like the old Chickering type.

What I would do is to raise the upstop rail as far as possible. (perhaps
even take it off the screws for maximum lift) Then lift up damper head and
spin it around to felt side up. At this point you should be able to spin it
off. Some bending while turing is inevitable near struts.

Of course,  once you have the upstop rail out of the way, you could
possibly dismount the offending one's underlevers and lift the heads even
further and fully clear the struts and other dampers.

YMMV

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder