Let-off in piano

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:23:35 -0800

I often pull the action out slightly to get a better view of the=
 hammer/string for let-off, especially in the bass.  I don't see=
 any huge problem in regulation in the piano as long as I'm not=
 doing it 8 hours a day..;-]   One of the perks of the=
 independent tech...variety!
David Ilvedson

Original message
From: jason kanter
To: Pianotech
Subject: Let-off in piano

Just reading David Nereson's post about the old Bl=FCthner he takes=
 care of. He comments: "Can't regulate let-off in the piano -- no=
 way to get at the regulating screws."

Which brings up an important point for me. How DO you regulate=
 hammer height and letoff in the grand piano? The method I=
 learned is: Pull the action, measure string height at the=
 extremes of each section using a string height gauge and a=
 busines card; put the action on a nice, firm, flat surface (I=
 know that this is the place where errors creep in, if the keybed=
 and the work surface are not both quite flat); use a contraption=
 to simulate string height; and regulate hammer height, letoff,=
 checking, drop, etc outside the piano.

In some situations I have had to do an on-site regulation where=
 there is no good, flat surface for the action, so I've tried to=
 do it in the piano. I can't see how you can do a good job with=
 it. Feeding a hammer blow gauge through the dampers, turning it=
 90 degrees and pulling it gently up to contact the undersurface=
 of the string, and holding it there while trying to get an=
 eyeball on the hammer surface from the front of the piano and=
 using the other hand to regulate the capstan ... difficult=
 enough to do samples but what a challenge to do them all that=
 way. Very hard to get a good line of sight over the hammer=
 flange under the pinblock. So I have resorted to approximating,=
 measuring only a few, pulling the action into my lap and=
 eyeballing the tweeners. I *know* the results are not as good as=
 what I could do on a good bench.

Same issue for letoff, and same for backcheck. No doubt you more=
 experienced folks have developed fast, efficient, easy ways to=
 do this. Please enlighten.

Does Bill Spurlock's description sound like what any of you do?=
 "hunching over the stretcher, peering past the dampers and=
 through the strings to judge let-off distance, then looking=
 under the pinblock to place the tool on the adjusting screw,=
 then leaning forward again to watch as you make the adjustment.=
 All the while you must "squeeze" the key gradually to slow=
 hammer movement enough that you can accurately see the let-off=
 point."

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com .. cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans