Let-off in piano

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:38:06 -0500

Oops...

And I guess the point of the method I propose is that you can *also* use =
it to set up your regulation bench even if you can't access the letoff =
adjustments with the action in the piano.  In other words, step 1 can =
obviously be done very quickly with the action removed.  Step 2 would be =
with the action replaced.

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 1:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Let-off in piano

  Hi Jason,

  You wrote: How DO you regulate hammer height and letoff in the grand =
piano?  <snip>  In some situations I have had to do an on-site =
regulation where there is no good, flat surface for the action, so I've =
tried to do it in the piano. <snip>

  I often have to do stuff without the proper equipment, because it's =
just not worth it to me (as an amateur) to invest in elaborate tooling.  =
I just did a fairly good preliminary regulation job (preliminary because =
I have other work ahead of me) without a good bench using the following =
method (which does not require a flat surface):

  (1) Raise the letoff buttons on the end notes of each section, until =
the hammer blocks against the string.
  (2) Adjust the capstans on these notes, so that the hammers *just* =
reach the strings when the key bottoms out.  Of course the force on the =
key *does* matter, so find a way to be consistent.  The hammer bumping =
against the string, ringing it, and then damping it, is an excellent =
aural indicator of having achieved the desired hammer height.
  (3) Remove the action and put it on the best surface available.
  (4) Section at a time, position a straight edge so that the hammers on =
the section ends *just* meet it when the keys are bottomed.  Lower the =
straight edge by 1/16".
  (5) For each note, raise the letoff button until the hammer blocks.  =
Depress a the key, and lower the letoff button until the jack kicks out =
and releases the hammer.
  (6) Adjust hammer height and drop in a similar manner.

  This is a very quick and easy way to set up for regulation, and I =
found it to be quite accurate, even on less than optimal surfaces.  To =
do my regulation, I just set the action on top of a piano lid, with a =
blanket to cushion it.  :-)

  Peace,
  Sarah