Restringing Time

Fred Brown thepianoman@adelphia.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:46:10 -0500

Hi Terry,
sorry to be so slow on the reply but I just did a set of bass strings on an
upright. Used original pins(was a newer Yam P-22). It took about 4-5 hrs(46
strings) including a full tuning. I think it takes more time to use the
original pins and have to fight getting becket into pin with wire under
reasonable tension. Better to go up a size or two and charge for it. Be sure
to include an extra hour for follow up tuning in week or two.
Fred Brown RPT
ATL GA

   _____

From: Terry [mailto:terry@farrellpiano.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:02 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Restringing Time

I have a client that wants to restring just the one tenor section of an old
Baldwin R (5' 8" or so) - apparently just that section is rusty and strings
have broke - he just wants to get the thing functioning for now. Seems to me
there should be no problem doing this on-site (in the home). We are going to
assume the pinblock is adequate for tuning pins one or two sizes up (I
realize that may turn out to not be the case). I need to give him a price.

How many hours would anyone be willing to estimate is appropriate to allot
for this service?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell