Missing Ivories

Jim Kinnear jim@pianoguy.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:57:57 -0500

Hi Matthew . .=20

Most of us, I would think, travel with a baggie of assorted ivories. =
Since they are all different colours, thicknesses, lengths and widths, I =
carry about a hundred, that I have scavenged from old keys I've =
recovered over the years . . .
Usually there is something that matches.

The plastic 'ivories' that are available,  are a poor substitute in my =
opinion.

I'd be interested in what others charge to replace an ivory ??

Jim Kinnear
www.kinnearpiano.com
Collingwood, ON, Canada

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress
 -- Joseph Joubert (1754-1824) French Philosopher
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,=20
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:23 AM
  Subject: Missing Ivories

  How do you all deal with a customer's piano that has three, four, five =
or ten missing ivory keytops (and others being chipped and cracked), and =
they don't want to replace them because they just like the fact that =
they are ivories?  Do you just leave them because they cost a lot more =
than the plastic tops?  Or what do you explain to the client?

  Another question...what if a client has just one or two missing =
ivories, and everything else is in great shape.  Can we just get one or =
two ivory keytops to replace it with?

  Thanks!

  Matthew Todd
  Todd Piano Works