Missing Ivories

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:04:37 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

 Most tuners that have been in the trade for many years keep the good
ivories when replacing keyboards. I myself have dozens of jars of ivories=
 of
all description. So replacing ivories is no problem. But I must say the
wafer thin American ivories are the first to chip and fall off, and my
supply of this sort of ivory is getting low!!=0D
=0D
The chipped ivories can be repaired with the stuff the dentists use to
repair chipped teeth. Have a talk to your friendly Dentist and see if he
will supply the necessary etch, bond and filler materials needed. The old
method used by the Dentists was to mix various colors to match your chipp=
ed
tooth. The basic white in the color range was ideal for a bleached ivory,
There is a yellow color that can be added to match unbleached tops.=0D
The Dentists use a different system now, but they might still have the ol=
stock on hand.=0D
=0D
 Bottom line is to see if anyone on the list can match the ivories you ne=
ed.=0D
One last though. I have noticed that makers of jewelry trinkets are takin=
quite a interest in small pieces of ivory. Maybe there might be a dollar =
or
two selling scrap ivories to these people.=0D
=0D
Regards=0D
Robin Stevens=0D
South Australia=0D