Missing Ivories

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro@verizon.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:05:43 -0500

Matthew,
    This is a question I get all the time. I simply explain to the =
client (mostly technicians) that in some cases it is more expensive to =
restore an ivory keyboard than it is to put a nice new plastic set. I =
further explain that piano playing should be an enjoyable visual, =
acoustic and tactile experience. If the keys are worn out, uneven and =
cracked it is not attractive to look at nor a pleasure to play. This =
defeats the whole purpose of playing. Most technicians have a stash of =
salvaged ivory heads from old keyboards that can be used as =
replacements. When replacing a head ensure that is atleast the same size =
as the one being replaced, preferably larger so it can be trimmed to =
match the rest.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:23 AM
  Subject: Missing Ivories

  How do you all deal with a customer's piano that has three, four, five =
or ten missing ivory keytops (and others being chipped and cracked), and =
they don't want to replace them because they just like the fact that =
they are ivories?  Do you just leave them because they cost a lot more =
than the plastic tops?  Or what do you explain to the client?

  Another question...what if a client has just one or two missing =
ivories, and everything else is in great shape.  Can we just get one or =
two ivory keytops to replace it with?

  Thanks!

  Matthew Todd
  Todd Piano Works