Missing Ivories

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:09:58 -0800

Instead of going through all that just order an Acrilikey repair=
 kit.   It does a great job.   Same material as fake fingernails.=
   It buffs up and matches the ivory very well.
David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Robin Stevens
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Missing Ivories

 Most tuners that have been in the trade for many years keep the=
 good ivories when replacing keyboards. I myself have dozens of=
 jars of ivories of all description. So replacing ivories is no=
 problem. But I must say the wafer thin American ivories are the=
 first to chip and fall off, and my supply of this sort of ivory=
 is getting low!!

The chipped ivories can be repaired with the stuff the dentists=
 use to repair chipped teeth. Have a talk to your friendly=
 Dentist and see if he will supply the necessary etch, bond and=
 filler materials needed. The old method used by the Dentists was=
 to mix various colors to match your chipped tooth. The basic=
 white in the color range was ideal for a bleached ivory, There=
 is a yellow color that can be added to match unbleached tops.
The Dentists use a different system now, but they might still=
 have the old stock on hand.

 Bottom line is to see if anyone on the list can match the=
 ivories you need.
One last though. I have noticed that makers of jewelry trinkets=
 are taking quite a interest in small pieces of ivory. Maybe=
 there might be a dollar or two selling scrap ivories to these=
 people.

Regards
Robin Stevens
South Australia