Early Square Piano Regulation

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:45:17 +0100

Joe,

Thanks for the tips.=20
On this Erard there are punchings for the key dip. (originally there was =
one continuous felt strip)
The key dip is verry uneven from one note to an other but il looks like =
there is more dip needed in the bass section than in the treble.
Is this Faust Pocket Companion still available?

Thanks,
Pierre=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:39 PM
  Subject: Early Square Piano Regulation

  As there is verry little known about how to regulate those I'd like to =
ask
  if someone has ever regulated this type of actions before? Maybe Joe
  (square) Garett??? I suppose the most squares you've seen had an =
action with
  escapement?
  What I'd like to know is what was the key dip and the play between the =
two
  pilots. Made some experiments and it works about but it could =
certainly be
  better."

  The earliest Square Piano, that I work on, is an 1805 Clementi. It has =
a similar action as the one you describe. (possibly.<G>) There are =
adjustment screws within the action, that can be experimented with, to =
see what will give you the results you desire. As these type of actions =
do not have escapement, per se, there is very fine balance between =
blocking on the string(s) and virtually nothing.<G>  The early pianos =
were all "experimental", so each has it's own way of achieving some =
semblance of "touch". That's the best I can tell you. Of course, proceed =
with caution, always.
  FYI, most pianos of this period, had a very shallow dip, compared to =
what we see in modern pianos. The Faust Pocket Companion says "two =
eighths of an inch", (i.e. 1/4"). The early Chickerings used this =
dimension.
  To sum up, try for consistancy and leave it at that. Put your modern =
piano brain away, or else you will do something stupid.<G> DAMHIK!!!
  Best Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I