Early Square Piano Regulation

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:46:22 -0500 (EST)

Question???....
If you dont pound the key for fear it will destroy a "really fine" tuning...what about all the test blow stuff we hear about, including the PTG exam etc...

Gevaert Pierre <pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net> wrote:
Joe,

Thanks for the tips.
On this Erard there are punchings for the key dip. (originally there was one continuous felt strip)
The key dip is verry uneven from one note to an other but il looks like there is more dip needed in the bass section than in the treble.
Is this Faust Pocket Companion still available?

Thanks,
Pierre
----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:39 PM
Subject: Early Square Piano Regulation

As there is verry little known about how to regulate those I'd like to ask
if someone has ever regulated this type of actions before? Maybe Joe
(square) Garett??? I suppose the most squares you've seen had an action with
escapement?
What I'd like to know is what was the key dip and the play between the two
pilots. Made some experiments and it works about but it could certainly be
better."

The earliest Square Piano, that I work on, is an 1805 Clementi. It has a similar action as the one you describe. (possibly.<G>) There are adjustment screws within the action, that can be experimented with, to see what will give you the results you desire. As these type of actions do not have escapement, per se, there is very fine balance between blocking on the string(s) and virtually nothing.<G>  The early pianos were all "experimental", so each has it's own way of achieving some semblance of "touch". That's the best I can tell you. Of course, proceed with caution, always.
FYI, most pianos of this period, had a very shallow dip, compared to what we see in modern pianos. The Faust Pocket Companion says "two eighths of an inch", (i.e. 1/4"). The early Chickerings used this dimension.
To sum up, try for consistancy and leave it at that. Put your modern piano brain away, or else you will do something stupid.<G> DAMHIK!!!
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I