Let-off in piano

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:15:31 -0800

Ahhh...the voice of literate wisdom rises once again from the Rome of the
South...welcome back, Ed Foote....great post.

I use a similar method of aural setting of letoff, using the below-mentioned
precision of touch to "push" each key through letoff and aftertouch to
produce a consistent soft blow; I set the closeness of letoff according to
how strong the note sounds; I can do a very precise letoff at either "close"
or "safe" tolerance in every section of the piano, very consistently,
without distorting or contorting my body. Find a way to make it fun AND
precise. Except I have not yet found a way to make lifting and seating
strings fun; it's nothing but laying bricks in the hot sun....and crucial to
a well-prepared piano, and you MUST do it, so there ya go.

You who are coming to the PTG show in Suckramento (as we Laker fans say; all
in fun; no disrespect intended; flame suit on) please come by the conjoined
booths of Dale Erwin's Piano Restoration & David Andersen Pianos and I'lll
show you the pprotocol in 2 minutes. As with most "moves" in piano work,
it's a hundred times easier to see than describe.

My best......David A.

> << Does Bill Spurlock's description sound like what any of you do? "hunching
>
> over the stretcher, peering past the dampers and through the strings to
>
> judge let-off distance, then looking under the pinblock to place the tool on
>
> the adjusting screw, then leaning forward again to watch as you make the
>
> adjustment. All the while you must "squeeze" the key gradually to slow
>
> hammer movement enough that you can accurately see the let-off point." >>

My God, that sounds like torture. How grim a picture. My achin' dogs and
back....oy vay. Bill Spurlock, alias Torquemada Kevorkian....<g> <g>