Let-off in piano

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:10 -0800

David Andersen said:
"My God, that sounds like torture. How grim a picture. My achin' dogs and
back....oy vay. Bill Spurlock, alias Torquemada Kevorkian....<g> <g>"

"Does Bill Spurlock's description sound like what any of you do? 'hunching
over the stretcher, peering past the dampers and through the strings to
judge let-off distance, then looking under the pinblock to place the tool on
the adjusting screw, then leaning forward again to watch as you make the
adjustment. All the while you must "squeeze" the key gradually to slow
hammer movement enough that you can accurately see the let-off point.'"

I want to correct a possible misapprehension. The above was *not* Spurlock's
recommendation for how to do letoff. He was positioning the reason for
buying his Grand Action Let-off Jig ... "This jig makes the job faster, more
consistent, and physically much easier by allowing you to work while sitting
on the piano bench, with the action pulled out on the keybed. You can then
work with your back straight, with perfect visibility and tool access,
playing each key at normal light playing speed while you make the
adjustment." See http://www.spurlocktools.com/id24.htm for the full
description, picture of the jig, etc.

And thank you, all who responded with such kind advice.