Not what I signed up for

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:53:18 EST

Hi List,

Just a little vent...I got a call a few weeks back from a woman I'd tuned  an
Acrosonic for about 5 months ago, saying the piano needed to be  retuned.
Okay, It was some 30 cents flat or so, o that makes sense.

When I arrived on the scene, the bass sounded kind of crappy, and the  treble
had gone fairly far flat.  And some of the aging rubber lifter  grommets were
clicking in the forks.  NO big deal.  The lady of the  house who I had worked
for before was not home.  Instead, a rather CEO  looking man came to the
rather large door of the huge and well-appointed house  on the golf cours.

We discussed the situation.  I explained that even with the best  possible
tuning by the best tuner in the world, the Acro would never sound as  "in tune"
as their son's Charles Walter studio that I also tune.  He  explained that he
understood that, but that they just wanted it to play at  family gatherings.
Given their apparent financial situation, I gently  pointed out that they
would get far more musical satisfaction from a better  quality instrument, and
that they should limit their expectations for this  one.  Blah, blah, blah.

Then he saw my pocket PC and asked about the Tunelab program.  I  explained a
bit about it, at which point he told me that he wanted me to tune to  the
computer.  I said okay, but as I tuned, it became apparent to me that  my ear did
not agree with what I was seeing, especially in the upper  octaves.  This is
precisely where he came in to watch me tune, silent as a  statue, for a good
30 minutes.

What it boils down to is that I work for myself for many reasons, the
biggest one being that I don't have to be told what to do.  This situation  was
aggravating.  It was evident that the man of the house was used to  telling people
what to do and getting his way most of the time.  I'm used  to using MY
judgement, not that of a person without a musical bone in his  body.

The tuning was way too stretched in the treble, to the point of having
octaves that were strident, but I did it the way he had asked.   I  hope his wife
is happy with it(and/or him...(-:).

Thanks for listening,

Dave Stahl