piano soundproofing and just a little more...

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:34:26 +0100

On 9-feb-05, at 1:59, Bec and John wrote:

> Hi Andre,

Hi John,

> Actually, I was joking about the crouching :)

HAH! and I thought you were serious!

> I do have another query, just so I can have this in mind if the=20
> situation ever comes up. My apartment is not adjacent to other=20
> apartments. However, below is an office space available for limited=20
> use that someone else rents. A new person just started renting and I=20=

> wanted to minimise the sound going downstairs, in case they have a=20
> problem.
>
> With your new walls, what type of sound isolation/soundproofing is in=20=

> them?

For floors, only solid mass works best.
As far as walls, like the walls built in that room (and don't forget,=20
they don't touch anything) : they are filled with special soundproof=20
stuff called glass wool.

> Also, please tell me you had an elevator to get that piano up 4 =
floors!

In these older buildings there is UNFORTUNATELY SIGH.... no elevator.
I live on the highest floor meaning climbing up three 17 step stairs.=20
On the other hand.. it is supposed to be healthy.. (; >))
The grand had to be lifted over the roof with a very very high crane to=20=

the large balcony at the back of the apartment. VERY expensive! ouch!

> What kind of piano?

We have at this moment a Hamburg Steinway O, in which I put new=20
strings, dampers, Wurzen hammers and key bushings.
I also send the keys to Kluge where they put Steinway Ivoplast on them.=20=

Looks very good, feels very nice too.
The Wurzen hammers have AA quality which gives a tremendous sound,=20
actually much better than the regular Hamburg hammers.
All in all, the instrument projects amazingly and almost sounds too big=20=

for its size.
Very lovely piano. Needs soundproof walls though, heheh....

> Nice picture from your room! I don't have nearly as nice of a view=20
> when I wake up in the night for a pee.

Thanks John.
For 26 years I lived in a tiny two story apt. in the very center of old=20=

Amsterdam.
The street we lived in was that typical tiny street you find everywhere=20=

in between the old canals.
The wealthy merchants and their families lived on the canals and most=20
windows on the lower floors are quite big and tall (their servants=20
always lived on the highest floor and the attic, and, again typically,=20=

their windows were very small. If you ever walk along the old Amsterdam=20=

canals, look up, and you'll see the smallest windows just under the=20
roofs).
In the many small streets connecting the canals, the shopkeepers and=20
craftsmen lived to supply the rich with their services.
Nowadays, the rich have moved on to more invisible places, and most of=20=

the small shops etc have made place for fashionable clothing shops,=20
trendy bars, restaurants, fast food places, hair places, hotels, and=20
luxury shops in general.
It is too bad really that almost all the regular shops supplying the=20
inhabitants of that neighborhood with groceries, bread and cheese etc.=20=

have all been forced out for economical reasons.
In their place, we now find super markets and malls with less expensive=20=

foods, but often of inferior quality.
Luckily, there are a number of health food stores all over the city,=20
for those who still have  'taste buts'.

Anyway, in that small street, called "street of hearts" or Hartenstraat=20=

(originally "Hertenstraat, or street of deer"), we had no view at all,=20=

not in the front, nor in the back.
All we saw were the bricks with which the old houses were built.
Only in the summer did some rays of sunlight reach the front room there=20=

and in the back we had a small courtyard where, if one stood erect in=20
one of the corners, one was able to get just a few sun rays for a very=20=

short time. Hilarious haha!
So you can imagine how glad my wife and I are that, finally, we have an=20=

apartment with a magnificent view.

On the other hand... I don't know where you live, views, space and=20
nature in the US are often stunning, so I hope for you that, except for=20=

your nocturnal occupations, you enjoy your house and the place you live=20=

in.  (: >))

Andr=E9

(P.S. Nobody writes this (my) evening, so what the heck, I'll gladly=20
entertain you guys with my tiny stories)

friendly greetings
from
ANDR=C9 OOREBEEK

Where 'music' is no harm can be