Schimmel regulation problem

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:51:12 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Newtonburg" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: Schimmel regulation problem

> >/Hey folks -
> />/
> />/I posted a question a couple of days ago about a Schimmel grand that
I'm
> />/having trouble with - one person replied w/ some contact info for
> />/Schimmel, and I've emailed them but not received a reply yet - while
I'm
> />/waiting, does anybody on here have any ideas? I can re-post the
question
> />/if anybody missed it. Help!!
> />/--
> />/Scott A. Helms, RPT
>

> /Hi Scott. Been off for a few days so I couldnt get to this before now.
Your bore length
> of 43 sounds a little suspect.. might be a good idea to check string
heigth and hammer center height to
> be sure.
>
> A quick fix is to do something with the letoff buttons themselves.
Probably the easiest thing you can do
> without getting to into redesigning things. If you have thick letoff
button cushions, then replace with
> thinner ones. Otherwise you only need to take off 2-3 mm of letoff button
wood to get them to screw
> higher up.
>
> Contacting Schimmel directly is a good idea, especially since Kjell was
kind enough to give you their
> address. Perhaps they have a patent solution for the problem.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Scott, Ric,
    I had the same problem with the same vintage Schimmel. Letoff buttons
turned all the way up and still excessive lettoff.
    This was a regulation for performance with time contraint .
    I removed the lettoff rails from the action rail, brought them to the
shop and removed (If I remember )around 1/8" from the top of these rails
with a small thumb plane.
    I was then able to reinstall and adjust letoff without problem.
    I have not seen the piano since and will be interested if things
remained unchanged .
    Generally I am hesitant to make changes as this , especially on pianos
where manufacturing defects are rare, but If the rails-action brackets  were
changing after this modification I would have expected wholesale blocking
hammers and a frantic callback.
    Tom Driscoll