DC undercover installation

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:20:11 -0500

Hi Cy,

My personal opinion is that a two tank install is only necessary on a nine
foot piano in an extreme environment. Even then, I would probably only
install a single tank with the cover and take a reading to see how the piano
responds. If it is still going flat in the winter, add the second tank.

Thanks for the tip on the stapler.

Dean
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Cy Shuster
  Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 12:22 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: DC undercover installation

  Well, I finished my first two-tank DC install yesterday, along with my
first undercover install.  I was in and out in only six hours!  (I *will*
charge for labor next time...).  I had imagined that the undercover would be
flat, with the new universal tank, but the tank hangs down a few inches,
creating bulges in the cover.  It's not very noticeable when you're done,
though.

  Special thanks to Don Rose for his detailed undercover instructions.  I'm
pleased to share a tool that helped a lot: an electric stapler.
  http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=69391-000000393-TR
E500C

  After I couldn't find the right staples for my hand stapler, I relented
and bought the electric (about $29 US).  98 out of 100 staples went in
cleanly the first time.  The only area I had trouble accessing was the
vertically mounted Velcro on the back of the keybed at the curved side, but
I still managed it.  Don scared me with stories of having to pound in most
staples with a hammer afterwards... I think this is easier on the piano,
since it only takes a single blow per staple.  This model even has an
adjustable force setting.  I used the smallest 1/4" (6mm) staples, and they
worked fine.  The tool is light enough to work with easily.

  This little work light was a help, too.  The feet help you point it up
while resting on the floor, and it has an outlet on it:
  http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=203352-1373-FL-906
MPD

  A sidenote for the two tank install: they recommend leaving the hose clamp
on the elbows oriented with the prongs downward (so you can get at them).
This is hazardous to pets, as well as your head, and especially the
undercover.

  It seemed possible for the hangar bars sitting on top of the beams to
buzz.  I cut them down just past the end of the beam, and put scraps of
undercover between the bar and the beam, just in case.  Any other potential
noisemakers?  (I forgot that the brackets that the tanks hang from go over
the bars, and so need extra rib clearance there; had to readjust a bit).
With the tanks on the side, I mounted them with one hangar bar over the
central beam, and the other flush against the outer beam (since the bar
couldn't go over it).

  I had trouble figuring out a good layout for this piano (Samick WSG185).
It has four main ribs, fanned out, so I thought I'd put a tank on each side
and the humidistat in the middle.  Unfortunately, since the humidistat has
to go on a beam, I couldn't get it 12" from both tanks.  I put it in the
extreme treble near the belly rail, but it's only about 4" from the end of
the main heater rod there.

  I'd be interested to know what the general set of positioning constraints
are for each component (grand pianos):
    - humidistat as close to soundboard as possible
    - humidistat at least 12" from a humidifier
    - humidifiers above the beams, unless the baffles hit the ribs
    - heater bars at least 3" away from where the undercover mounts (and use
the 36" long main bar with the undercover)

  Again, thanks for all your collective help here!

  --Cy Shuster--
  Bluefield, WV