Not what I signed up for / the follow up, too

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:42:19 EST

=20
In a message dated 2/5/05 8:57:21 AM Pacific Standard Time, =20
dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:

That  puzzles me.  2:1 is to me a very narrow setting although I have a=20
friend  that uses that all the time.  I=E2=80=99m suspicious of the IH readi=
ngs.   Many=20
Baldwin spinets and even worse, the  consoles, have some really weird readin=
gs=20
around C5.  That can mess up  the calculations higher up.  How stretched was=
=20
say, C7 & C8 on that  tuning?

Dave,
=20
C8 was probably 25 cents sharp to my ear.  The beats were coming fast  and=20
furious.  It was unpleasant sounding.=20
=20
In order to appease a potentially angry client this morning, I called  back=20
prepared to offer a free touch-up to the upper end of the piano  in conjunct=
ion=20
with them paying for grommet replacement.  The CEO answered,  so I felt=20
obliged to ask how his wife liked the tuning.  "She was  thrilled...it sound=
ed=20
better to her right away than the last time!"  Go  figure.  Just proves we a=
ll=20
hear things differently...
=20
Dave Stahl