Not what I signed up for

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:57:05 +0100

On 5-feb-05, at 20:36, Richard Brekne wrote:

> List
>
> Been reading this post with interest. Liked especially David Loves=20
> comments, good points and good advice. All this goes to illustrate how=20=

> easy it is to <<misuse>> (and I mean no criticism per se to our=20
> origional poster on this matter) the ETD.  ETD's are in my opinion no=20=

> substitute for the ear, rather a potential valuable suplement.=20
> Regardless of whether or not any of you will go that in remaining=20
> skeptical to ETD's I think really no one should doubt the value of a=20=

> solid theoretical fundement in tuning theory. If you know what tuning=20=

> is about in terms of coincident partials matching, you will be able to=20=

> conciously employ the ETD to create a very fine tuning.  If you=20
> combine that in turn with a keenly developed musical ear (yes a=20
> subjective issue.. to a point) You will be able to solve any=20
> particular pianos puzzle in as pleasing a fashion as is possible.
>
> I would suggest buying the inexpensive yet very readable and valuable=20=

> booklet "On Pitch" available from the PTG home office. Read through it=20=

> several times if needed to fully digest it.
>
> One other word... also being a <<fan>> as it were of the approach put=20=

> forward by  Virgil Smith, and adhered to by many... not the least of=20=

> these our own David Andersen, I would encourage one and all to attend=20=

> any available classes on that subject.  Bringing both perspectives to=20=

> bear in developing  your own style can be invaluably instructive.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

OK bud,
but then, after having tuned aurally for the greater part of my life,=20
and, having been mauled and aurally sharpened by the Yamaha Acadamy,=20
just like you, I have come to the humiliating but also enlightening=20
conclusion that my ETD gives me that very same result not in two hours=20=

time, like at the Academy, but in 45 minutes (or less) every time,=20
every day, and especially on every instrument.
You know me personally, you surely would not suggest that I don't know=20=

what I am talking about?
(Although, I have already learned that in this life, anything is=20
possible).

I will keep thinking, and saying, that nowadays we finally have=20
extremely efficient ETD's.
To me, an efficient ETD tells me personally about pitch, nothing else.=20=

It helps me tuning the strings at the most compromised pitch.
The making of tone, is a different matter and far more important,=20
because most people can not tell the difference whether a 5th is almost=20=

perfect, or not.

Over and out.

friendly greetings
from