Not what I signed up for

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:36:19 +0100

List

Been reading this post with interest. Liked especially David Loves
comments, good points and good advice. All this goes to illustrate how
easy it is to <<misuse>> (and I mean no criticism per se to our
origional poster on this matter) the ETD.  ETD's are in my opinion no
substitute for the ear, rather a potential valuable suplement.
Regardless of whether or not any of you will go that in remaining
skeptical to ETD's I think really no one should doubt the value of a
solid theoretical fundement in tuning theory. If you know what tuning is
about in terms of coincident partials matching, you will be able to
conciously employ the ETD to create a very fine tuning.  If you combine
that in turn with a keenly developed musical ear (yes a subjective
issue.. to a point) You will be able to solve any particular pianos
puzzle in as pleasing a fashion as is possible.

I would suggest buying the inexpensive yet very readable and valuable
booklet "On Pitch" available from the PTG home office. Read through it
several times if needed to fully digest it.

One other word... also being a <<fan>> as it were of the approach put
forward by  Virgil Smith, and adhered to by many... not the least of
these our own David Andersen, I would encourage one and all to attend
any available classes on that subject.  Bringing both perspectives to
bear in developing  your own style can be invaluably instructive.

Cheers
RicB