not what I signed up for

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:40:09 +0100

On 5-feb-05, at 22:26, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Andre wrote:
>
> OK bud,
> but then, after having tuned aurally for the greater part of my life,
> and, having been mauled and aurally sharpened by the Yamaha Acadamy,
> just like you, I have come to the humiliating but also enlightening
> conclusion that my ETD gives me that very same result not in two hours
>
> time, like at the Academy, but in 45 minutes (or less) every time,
> every day, and especially on every instrument.You know me personally,
> you surely would not suggest that I don't know what I am talking =
about?
> (Although, I have already learned that in this life, anything is
> possible).
>
> I will keep thinking, and saying, that nowadays we finally have
> extremely efficient ETD's.To me, an efficient ETD tells me personally
> about pitch, nothing else.
>
> It helps me tuning the strings at the most compromised pitch.
> The making of tone, is a different matter and far more important,
> because most people can not tell the difference whether a 5th is =
almost
> perfect, or not.
>
> Over and out.
> friendly greetings
>

>  Andre !
>
>  Would I suggest you dont know what you're talking about ???? grin..=20=

> surely you jest. If there is anyone who deserves the
>  title of Piano Guru in my book, surely you are amoung the most valued=20=

> of these.
>
>  Still, my own concerns hold, and do not really come in conflict with=20=

> your enthusiasms for Verituner. I just find it suspect at best to=20
> assume that
>  tuning interests are served by developing the idea that we only need=20=

> the machine. That we need not=A0 develop a musical ear for ourselves,=20=

> that we need not develop an theoretical=A0 understanding of tuning in=20=

> general, that we need not put the machines solution (regardless of how=20=

> good that is or isnt) into the perspective of the subjective yet=20
> learned EAR.

My friend,
As you know, and as I told here before time and again, I tuned and=20
tuned and tuned aurally, till my pinkies fell off my head.
Trying to make so called perfect equal temperament 7 times or more a=20
day is a stupefying business. I did just that for the better part of my=20=

professional life.
Actually, it was due to my encounter with Richard Davenport, that I=20
began to change my tiny mind.

>  Not having tried the Verituner myself, I of course can not speak to=20=

> its pros and cons beyond the fact that I am on record for being in=20
> support of the general multipartial approach. The single partial=20
> approach does not really do it for me. I find too many examples like=20=

> the one that started this thread that result from out and out reliance=20=

> on single partial tuning curves.=A0 But my point is not about whether=20=

> their exists a <<good enough>> tuning machine or not. It goes to what=20=

> happens when we become so reliant on them that we no longer can=20
> <<hear>> much less <<understand>> what a good tuning is anymore.=A0=A0 =
I'm=20
> all for using ETD's... but only as a supplement. Keeping the=20
> collective << tuners ear >> trained, schooled, and ready can only be a=20=

> good idea as far as I can see.

And the beauty of it all, meaning : having tuned aurally AND having=20
tuned Machinically, is thatt when the battery is empty, I happily=20
continue tuning with da pinkies.
And tuning with a good machine does not make us numb or dumb, it makes=20=

us sharp and keen.

I do not and shall never rely on an ETD only.
I have proved this to myself and to others.
I done an aural tuning test over and over till I dropped.

Capisce encora?

((; <>;))

>  Cheers
>  RicB